Wednesday, September 07, 2005

quick round up

My friend Hendrix-Cat sang on a pop record!

I went to Skye for the night to show my friend from London the West Coast of Scotland and to take the train from Glasgow to Mallaig 'one of the great train journeys of the world'. The 6 hour trip much elivened by taking a flask to make real coffee with those individual coffee makers which you pour hot water through and 'mini bottles' ie 1/3 sized wine bottles which we knocked back in tin mugs while whizzing through the spectacular scenery. The return trip to Mallaig with an apex ticket cost us a ridiculous £35 and the ferry was £5 return and we shared a room in a bunkhouse for £14 each - great value.

If we could bottle island air we could make a fortune.

I've got photos but I've not been to process them yet.

When we were at Waverly station we stocked up on newspapers for the journey - terrified I would be without reading matter I picked up Orhan Pamuk's 'Snow' on the basis of the blurb and cover. A beautiful, poetic, haunting and political book filled with images and characters what will stay with me a long time.

I saw John Adams Opera The Death of Klinghoffer done by Scottish Opera as part of the Edinburgh International Festival. Superb and very moving.

1 comment:

hendrix said...

not that that's my real name of course!!!!