Friday, September 09, 2005

You don't want to have to answer to the past, right? It's a waste of time. Nor do you even feel like rebelling against the way things used to be or rejecting the stale old expectations people would like to hold you to. I don't blame you, Virgo--especially now, as you enter the frontier zone where the possibilities are limited only by your imagination. The way I see it, it's your sacred duty to shake off all the sacred duties from yesteryear as you go forth to create the future.



*

If I ever produce a self-help manual called The Reverse Psychology of Getting Everything You Want, it will discuss the following paradoxes:
a. People are more willing to accommodate your longings if you’re not greedy or grasping.
b. A good way to achieve your desires is to cultivate the feeling that you’ve already achieved them.
c. Whatever you’re longing for has been changed by your pursuit of it. It’s not the same as it was when you felt the first pangs of desire. In order to make it yours, then, you will have to modify your ideas about it.
d. Be careful what you wish for because if your wish does materialize it will require you to change in ways you didn’t foresee.

from 'FreeWillAstrology'

~~~~~

This blog has changed its purpose... bet you didn't know it had one any way? I originally started it as a place where I could direct students to interesting links. Ah ! that's why she links to things she has no interest in.... and in the long run build a market for my courses without having to do the hard work of tramping around putting out leaflets. Well obviously that didn't happen in that I found that I still had to do the hard work of putting out leaflets and never quite got the hang of promoting this blog. The only time this blog has had a traffic spike is courtesy of 'Photo Friday'!

Well its September the rains are lashing down my kittens refused to leave the house this morning when they saw the wet and I'm not about to promote a class this Autumn. I've decided not to teach again for the time being. As soon as I took that decision someone phoned me from Glasgow asking me if I was going to do a course. I'm not entirely sure why I don't want to teach anymore. Perhaps because I need to teach myself, perhaps because I don't need the status of being a teacher perhaps because folding 2000 leaflets and distributing them makes me want to curl up on the sofa.

I've also changed in the last year or so... and its been hard to reconcile those changes with being a 'teacher'.

What has changed? I'm much more aware of the gaping holes within people and am so aware that people are in the mindset that somehow being creative will solve their career problems, make their mother love them and finally finally make them comfortable.Were as once you have created your thing - you are the same person with the same hang ups but you have a few songs under your belt.

Or they can't be creative because then their parents won't love them any more (pretty conditional love in the first place?)

The idea that there is the one thing you will do and be instanteously brilliant at - if only you could find out what it is. Yes there is flow sometimes but also all those shots were the horizon was wonky (not in a good way) the entire rolls came back blank and kept on happening. Things only got better after about 100 x 36 exposures...

Its hard even when you have built in support (producer) you still have to go out and push and prod to make things happen. Yes YOU have to Make Things Happpen. (I've always wanted SomeOne Else to make things happen).

Do what you love and the money will probably not flow in but you will have to work out a way to get money to do what you want. Yes you might want to do a series on Gypsies in Romania but you will also have to do weddings to support it. The time I would have spent marketing my class will be spent filling in applications so I can have a decently paid job which will give me paid holidays so I can do what I want and pay off my debts.


So my blog has turned from a marketing tool to an assemblage of links about creativity and other stuff and my photos when 'hello' allows.

Now I don't have to keep it up every day perhaps I can relax. Offf to get some breakfast.

2 comments:

hendrix said...

Time to rid the world of the idea that being creative is something that is seperate from everyday life. That it represents a better, brighter more together "you". It doesn't.

You shouldn't create for any other reason than the fact that you have to create because you can't not. That said, if you're driven to be creative because you hope that one day it will get you out of a job you hate, make you a millionaire, find you the love of your life then go for it. Whatever it takes to get the engine going...

And, like you said - its bloody hard work because you have to do all the other bits as well as the creative bits. The bits you thought being creative would save you from ( if only we could find the Other who's creativity is "making things happen" for other creative people) and, there is no instanteous brilliance - even if you have an innate gift for one thing over the other. There's just hard slog with just enough result to keep you going. Even when the rest of the world thinks you're a genius - what you create will never match up to what you wanted to create.

Despite my parents attempts to drum it into me for years, the thing I learnt this year is that you can be creative in anything you do - even in "selling out" and getting a "proper, boring, everyday" sort of job. There is always a gap through which creativity will sneak. You just have to let it and when you see it pop up - grab it with both hands. Once you do this then you realise that you haven't stomped on your creativity - you're just expressing it in a different way. It's surprising too that once you do this you will find that the gap grows bigger and you're given more and more room to be creative - even in a "proper" job. (the freedom from financial stress doesn't hurt either!)

You need to give as heart to the (for example) wedding films as you would to the romanian gypsy one. Things then have your signature...your way of doing something...and at the end of the day that's all creativity is anyway.

So ( i think) you're spot on, on this particular blog. This post certainly doesn't sound "mean spirited". It sounds like good old fashioned common sense to me.

m said...

Thank you H-C!

And a ps lots of people are seeking permission to be 'creative' which is why they came to my class. Don't try and get it from others or me. GIVE YOURSELF PERMISSION TO BE CREATIVE!