Thursday, February 09, 2006

Jenny Vorwaller's Creative Cues

Something that I have noticed about other artists I admire is how their creativity seems to take cues from their everyday life. If you are feeling humdrum lately, try enriching your way of living as much as possible by taking risks. Making changes is one of the best ways to be inspired. When you make an effort to do something different, you will be amazed at how these new things cross over into your work and fuels your life in return. Here are just some examples of things that keep my life interesting.

~Write everyday in a journal, blog or to a penpal. Writing keeps me aware of what I believe and what I want to change and recording my thoughts helps me understand who I want to be. I am always so impressed at what I find in my old journals. I see how all of my hopes and fears have changed, what I have conquered. Putting all of my abtract notions into words is the best way that I solve problems. Writing letters to people who have hurt me and then never sending them is a good way for me to learn to forgive. Making lists of projects is a good way to spark excitement. Carry something to write with with you everywhere and see what happens.

~Visit a gallery or museum often. Don’t forget to bring the essentials to allow the most pleasure from your day adventure: camera (no flash), sketchbook, snacks (not around the art), and your time. I try to make a few trips a month to local museums and then in between, find little galleries. You could also do your own searches of different artists online and bookmark your favorites, but it’s just not the same when you see works in real life. There are usually free days and even fun events that help you socialize with like-minded artists.

~Try a new style. If you always wear your hair a certain way, try cutting, coloring, growing out, putting it up or down. If you find a lot of basic black in your wardrobe, go to the thrift store (low financial commitment here) and find a funky frock or something that you think is flattering but that you wouldn’t normally choose. Carry a backpack? Celebrate being a girl and seek out a pretty handbag or tote. Look on ebay for something vintage. If you don’t have any spare change, sell some of that boring or old stuff in your closet and then go for it. Wear flats instead of heels. Or better yet, find some shoes in a different color. The thing to learn here is that it’s just hair, fabric, accessories, play and see how you feel! You are not your appearance, but people react to what they see in it. Do you like what you see? Are you reflecting who you really are? Try it, who knows, you might love it.

~Visit a Flea Market or Antique Mall. When I was first married, we lived near a dozen or so antique malls in florida. I had a favorite that was within walking distance of our house. Even on days where I didn’t find anything, I would always leave dizzy with all of the things I saw. Treasure from other times can be humorous, gaudy, and beautiful. Treasure hunting forces me to be selective, and helps me learn about the crafts and collectibles from different eras. When we go back to visit florida, I still try to fit in a visit to that favorite spot.

~Get a crush on an unknown (to you) artist. Read about them, study them, find out what they did that caused them to produce so many fascinating works. What appeals to you from their life? Maybe you could adopt some of the same things. Minerva Teichert used to set the clock ahead so she could send her five children to bed a little earlier, and she would then paint until midnight after they were tucked in. Julia Cameron writes three pages, longhand and stream-of consciousness, first thing in the morning to overcome obstacles that stops her from becoming her most creative self. Go to the library, pick a book or biography and see what you can find.

~Play with a child. Max and I build blanket forts, make cardboard houses, draw on the sidewalk with chalk, swing at the park, watercolor paint, collage, and cook together. I used to struggle with having to wait until he was asleep or occupied to do my own projects or paintings that he couldn’t be around (paint fumes, scissors, knives you get the picture.) But I am finding out more and more things that I can introduce to him. We have creative fun together.

~Turn off the tv as long as you can. Trust me, you won’t miss it.

~Find or listen to a different genre of music than you normally would. This always gets me motivated to go in a new direction, especially when I play a new playlist while I am painting or sketching. There is a world of sound out there waiting to be serenading your work. Pop onto itunes and see what you can find in the jazz, rap or folk section. Listening to the same old thing can be like having the same thing for dinner every night, which brings me to the next thing.

~Find new recipes to try. My favorite is anything mostly vegetarian and ethnic. I have recently fallen in love with indian dishes. It’s easy as pie to look online for something different, and the library is again a super resource. Or be really brave and make up your own. Start with a stir-fry with your favorite vegetables and noodles and make your own sauce. Grow your own herbs, throw out all the junk food and refined sugar, chemicals and preservatives in your kitchen. Food tastes much better when it’s just food and not all the extras, and you feel better in return. Invinsible health leads to better inspiration!

~Moving, getting outside to play or do yardwork, doing some yoga, going for a walk are ways that increase my creativity. Exercise is a great way of clearing my mind so that creative solutions can flow more freely.

~Rearrange, paint or change the look of a room you live in. This can do a lot if you are as sensitive to your surroundings as I am. Try moving your furniture to different rooms or just spots in a room, see what happens. New colors mean new environments. Sometimes you can find oops! paint for a few bucks at the hardware store and it’s just what you need to feel at home and make your place personal.

From True Nature

(the linking thing on blogger appears not to work so do google for her blog)

No comments: