Tuesday, December 13, 2005

slow movement

There is a slow food movement but I want to start a slow travel movement. Not only is travelling by bus and train much better for the environment and safer than travelling by car but it doesn't cut you off from life. Packed into metal boxes, all you can do is observe life or wait in a traffic jam. On Sunday I waited on a wet street for a bus to visit a friend. While I was waiting, a small boy also waiting, gave his mother and I an inpromptu rendition (with actions!) of the 'Hokey Cokey' - completely entrancing. Then at the other end I walked to my friends house admiring the Christmas decorations glowing in the dark - if I'd driven all I'd have been thinking about was finding a parking space. Slow travel is the process of the journey being the destination, because we are already here. Stop rushing there, thinking that is where here is.

No comments: