Saturday, May 20, 2006

I really hate the hierarchy of one form of creativity over another. Usually one is seen is more 'masculine' and therefore worthy and another 'feminine' and therefore unworthy. The most documented examples are from histories of the struggle of women to obtain entry into institutions of art education where women were prevented from studying life drawing and diverted to the applied arts (embroidery and jewelry). Jude Burkhauser's Glasgow Girls covers most of this material. There is a book also on the Edinburgh Girls (artists) but have failed to find it on Amazon - which is a shame as one of them was my great grand mother.

Last week I was urged to call myself a 'documentary maker' and told to 'go and make cakes' if I wasn't prepared to call myself that. And I thought 'Don't diss the cake makers - its harder than you think' and betrays a condescension which I loathe. I found this groovy cake making page... chocolate meringue... checkerboard cake. Wouldn't you like to turn these out?

Also found via 52 projects a weekly quilt project.

No comments: