Tuesday, March 28, 2006

RIP Ian Hamilton Finlay

He died yesterday. I've written before about visiting Little Sparta the living artwork he created at Stonypath outside Edinburgh.

In the 1990's I worked at Chapman - argueably Scotland's leading literary magazine. While I was there we produced a double issue on IHF. This one of the first times that he got recognition from within Scotland. I can remember being deluged by contributions from around the world and of course how we got caught in the cross fire between one of his famous ongoing battles with an adversary from France faxing us libel suit on the day of our Christmas lunch! However alongside the Women's Issue - the double Ian Hamilton Finlay issue is the one I'm most proud to have worked on.

3 comments:

Lizl Bennefeld said...

He was the sort of person I would like to have been, I think.

m said...

there is another obit at the independent today. www.independent.co.uk

cute cat!

Lizl Bennefeld said...

Thanks! Found the obit.