Thursday, April 28, 2005

Cherry Blossom Admiring Time

is something I think happens in Japan - I've not had a huge amount of luck finding any info about it online. I think people gather in parks and have picnics drink saki and write haikus.

There are some spectacular blossom displays in Edinburgh at the moment, St Andrew Square, Gordon St in Leith, and in the ususal suspect parks. Waiting in Portobello High Street last night for a bus a group of children had great fun scooping up handfulls of pink petals from the pavement and flinging them into the air.

A friend of mine talked in a very scathing way about a friend of hers who would take his bicycle and take a tour of trees in blossom 'He goes to see the same trees every year'. So ??? Like the Japanese the wonder of a cherry tree in bloom after the gray of the winter is a miracle and I'm happy to rediscover it every Spring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try looking under 'Sakura Festival' as I think this is the name for the cherry blossom festivals in Japan.

Love your blog! I just found my way here via allthingsnatural.

m said...

thank you Helen!